By Food Contributor Penny Zalalas (@flavoursandflair)
When it comes to dinner time, deciding what to cook for the entire family may become quite the task- especially when you are dealing with fussy eaters!
It’s also quite important to try and keep weekday meals as simple and easy to prepare as possible because time always seems to get the better of us mums.
That’s why this skinless chicken drumstick recipe is one of my all time favourite dishes- as it includes protein, carbs and vegetables, only takes 20 minutes to prepare and most importantly, is super healthy and delicious for the entire family!
We made this with a few fresh and in-season vegetables- featuring zucchinis, potatoes, sweet potato and pumpkin but really, you can use any veggie of your choice, including carrots, celery, eggplant or capsicum.
Greens are so important for our little ones (and us adults too), which is why I’ve also included this Broccolini and Green Bean Salad recipe as a side dish to accompany this meal, as again it is very simple to prepare and ever- so- tasty!
I lightly crumbled some goats cheese on top for some extra calcium, however this is optional and if you or your family aren’t a fan- you can go completely without, or maybe try it with some fresh ricotta cheese, which is also a hit in our home.
Baked Skinless Chicken Drumsticks & Veggies
- 8 x free range skinless chicken drumsticks
- 6 x potatoes
- 3 x zucchinis
- 1 x sweet potato
- 1/4 x pumpkin
- 2 x ripe tomatoes
- 6 x tablespoons olive oil
- 1 x cup water
- 1 x teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Wash chicken and place it in the centre of baking dish.
- Chop up all your vegetables into rustic size pieces and arrange vegetables alongside the chicken.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, olive oil and water. Toss well to coat entire chicken and vegetables.
- Grate two ripe tomatoes on top of chicken and vegetables.
- Cover dish tightly with baking paper and aluminium foil.
- Bake for one hour, or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
Broccolini, Green Bean & Goats Cheese Salad
- 1 x bunch broccolini
- 200 x grams green string beans
- 1 x small lemon, juiced
- olive oil, for drizzling
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 50 x grams goats cheese
- Wash and trim ends off green beans.
- Place broccolini and green beans in a saucepan filled with boiling water. Allow to cook on very low heat for about 6 minutes, or until beans and broccoli are slightly cooked but still crunchy.
- Drain and place on serving dish. Add salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Crumble goats cheese on top and serve.